Margie's den of wonders...

now that was the catchiest bit of the blog! ;o)

Thursday, August 10, 2006

UK Terrorist Plot Disrupted

Sitting here in my office off Trafalgar Square - a block or so away from the Houses of Parliament in Westminster - I am very well placed to say that the British spirit of soldiering on in the face of adversity is alive and well (there is a performance of some kind being sound tested outside as I type and I can hear the tour buses giving guided tours).

MI5 have pronounced the threat to be "critical" meaning although "an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK" we should - as our Minister Reid says go about our daily business uninterupted.

July 7, 2005 was a horrible day - walking to Victoria station as a member of the subdued but still spirited British public - was one of the most emotional days of my life. No one I know directly was affected by those bombings, beyond mild inconvenience in transport. Everyone I know made it home from work and was back at it the next day - with two fingers pointed straight up and in the faces of the terrorists trying to subdue them.

Here is another day of that kind of threat - British families will be at the airport - ready to travel to their beer and sun loungers in Spain, Portugal and Florida. They will be cranky - they will be whinging - but they will mostly be going. "We've seen it all before, innit?"

So while the Met has day two of good news (big murder trial result yesterday) I am looking forward to my girls night out in Clapham and will be lifting both two fingers and a few glasses of wine...I am after all working towards my British citizenship!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home